Streaming is where it’s at for all of our TV and movie-watching entertainment. Comparing them can be a little overwhelming, especially when you’re considering the costs of subscription services. From popular platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video to newer ones like Disney+ and Hulu, each service offers a variety of content at different price points.
It’s also worth checking to see if your cell phone, internet, or cable provider include any streaming subscriptions free with your plan—carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon often do! Here’s a comparison of plans and their costs (as of August 2023).
Netflix is a pioneer in the streaming industry and offers an extensive library of movies, TV shows, and original content. They have three subscription tiers:
– Basic Plan: The most affordable option is $8.99 per month and allows streaming on one screen and does not include HD or Ultra HD content.
– Standard Plan: Priced at $13.99 per month, this plan enables HD streaming and allows two screens to watch simultaneously.
– Premium Plan: The highest tier, at $17.99 per month, offers Ultra HD streaming and allows four screens to watch at the same time.
2. Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Video comes as part of an Amazon Prime membership, which includes other benefits like free two-day shipping and access to Prime Music. The annual subscription for Amazon Prime is $119, which breaks down to around $9.92 per month.
Disney+ has become a favorite among families and fans of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars content. The subscription cost for Disney+ is $7.99 per month. Alternatively, you can opt for the bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ for $13.99 per month.
Hulu offers a massive selection of current TV shows, classic series, and original programming. They have various tiers for their subscription services:
– Basic Plan: Priced at $5.99 per month, this plan includes ads during streaming.
– No Ads Plan: For $11.99 per month, you can enjoy ad-free streaming of Hulu’s content.
– Hulu + Live TV: At around $64.99 per month, this package includes access to live TV channels in addition to Hulu’s on-demand content.
5. HBO Max
HBO Max is the home for HBO’s vast library of content, along with a collection of popular TV shows and movies. The subscription fee for HBO Max is $14.99 per month.
6. Apple TV+
Apple TV+ focuses on original programming, with a limited library compared to other services. The subscription is $4.99 per month.
Peacock offers a mix of TV shows, movies, and original content from NBCUniversal. They have three subscription options:
– Free Tier: Peacock offers a free version with ads.
– Peacock Premium: Priced at $4.99 per month, this plan includes more content and limited ads.
– Peacock Premium Plus: For $9.99 per month, you get the same content as Premium but without ads.
Paramount+ features CBS shows and exclusive content from Paramount studios. The subscription cost for Paramount+ is $4.99 per month for the Essential plan with ads, and $9.99 for the Premium plan without ads.
The bottom line: saving on subscription services
Comparing prices on top streaming subscription services can help you find the best value for your entertainment needs. Consider the range of content offered, the number of screens allowed for simultaneous streaming, and whether ads are going to drive you crazy. Take advantage of free trials to test out different platforms and see which service fits your preferences and budget best.